Any faster file system?

mulysatest mulysatest
Hi,

I got an unlimited space web hosting.
I want to utilize this space by remote mounting it as my local path and use
it as the place to user email's msg.
So far, I can successfully do it by using sshfs. However due to the nature
of ssh, all data were encrypted.
Thus, it was very slow. I don't have any confidential data, so I don't care
about security.
Is there any file system faster than sshfs which allow me to do think
samething as sshfs except encryption?

Note: The remote server allow ftp,ssh,http,imap.pop3

Thank you in advanced

Re: Any faster file system?

Bugzilla from rudd-o@rudd-o.com
Don't use fuse. Use straight mount.cifs.

     Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
     Sent from my iPhone

El 28/09/2008, a las 15:07, CITEC-PostMaster <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> Hi,
>
> I got an unlimited space web hosting.
> I want to utilize this space by remote mounting it as my local path
> and use
> it as the place to user email's msg.
> So far, I can successfully do it by using sshfs. However due to the
> nature
> of ssh, all data were encrypted.
> Thus, it was very slow. I don't have any confidential data, so I
> don't care
> about security.
> Is there any file system faster than sshfs which allow me to do think
> samething as sshfs except encryption?
>
> Note: The remote server allow ftp,ssh,http,imap.pop3
>
> Thank you in advanced
> ---
> challenge
> great prizes
> the world

Re: Any faster file system?

林C
hi,Amador

you use iphone to resend email.so cool , "-)

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Don't use fuse. Use straight mount.cifs.
>

>     Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
>     Sent from my iPhone
>
> El 28/09/2008, a las 15:07, CITEC-PostMaster <[hidden email]>
> escribió:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I got an unlimited space web hosting.
> > I want to utilize this space by remote mounting it as my local path
> > and use
> > it as the place to user email's msg.
> > So far, I can successfully do it by using sshfs. However due to the
> > nature
> > of ssh, all data were encrypted.
> > Thus, it was very slow. I don't have any confidential data, so I
> > don't care
> > about security.
> > Is there any file system faster than sshfs which allow me to do think
> > samething as sshfs except encryption?
> >
> > Note: The remote server allow ftp,ssh,http,imap.pop3
> >
> > Thank you in advanced
> > ---
> > challenge
> > Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win
> > great prizes
> > Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in
> > the world

Re: Any faster file system?

Dave Ingram

>> I got an unlimited space web hosting.
>> I want to utilize this space by remote mounting it as my local path
>> and use it as the place to user email's msg.
>> So far, I can successfully do it by using sshfs. However due to the
>> nature of ssh, all data were encrypted.
>> Thus, it was very slow. I don't have any confidential data, so I
>> don't care about security.
>> Is there any file system faster than sshfs which allow me to do think
>> samething as sshfs except encryption?
>>
>> Note: The remote server allow ftp,ssh,http,imap.pop3
>>
>> Thank you in advanced
>>

> Don't use fuse. Use straight mount.cifs.

I may be mistaken, but I thought that CIFS was the successor to SMB
(Samba). If that is the case, I don't think he'll be able to use it -
remote web hosting is extremely unlikely to offer Samba/CIFS access for
a number of reasons.

I don't have an answer off-hand, but I believe there is a FUSE FTP
filesystem. What I'm not quite sure what the original poster wants to
do, as I would have thought IMAP would be used for storing email.

Dave

Re: Any faster file system?

Gregor-19
Am Montag, den 29.09.2008, 03:07 +0700 schrieb CITEC-PostMaster:
> Is there any file system faster than sshfs which allow me to do think
> samething as sshfs except encryption?
>
> Note: The remote server allow ftp,ssh,http,imap.pop3

You could try cURL or WevDAV
http://curlftpfs.sourceforge.net/
http://dav.sourceforge.net/

And... IMAPfs exsits too
http://imapfs.sourceforge.net/

Greets

Re: Any faster file system?

Bugzilla from rudd-o@rudd-o.com
Sorry, I assumed he had a VPS-type hosting.  CIFS is the appropriate choice in
those scenarios, since the protocol is more low-level and geared for 1) bulk
data transfer, and 2) seeks inside files.  Number 2) is especially crucial in
mount-type scenarios.  SFTP and FTP do not really support 2) well -- they are
file transfer protocols, not remote file sharing protocols.

--

        Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) <[hidden email]>
        Rudd-O.com - http://rudd-o.com/

Machines that have broken down will work perfectly when the repairman arrives.

Re: Any faster file system?

CITEC-PostMaster <[hidden email]> writes:
> Hi,
>
> I got an unlimited space web hosting.
> I want to utilize this space by remote mounting it as my local path and use
> it as the place to user email's msg.

Most likely your provider will have restricted to usage to "data meant
for web publication only". So you'll probably get in trouble if you
store really huge amounts of data.

> So far, I can successfully do it by using sshfs. However due to the
> nature of ssh, all data were encrypted. Thus, it was very slow. I
> don't have any confidential data, so I don't care about security.

What makes you think that the encryption is the limiting factor? I
experimented a lot with remote filesystems since I wanted to do a
similar thing, and usually the performance depended crucially on the
network latency, especially with sshfs.

> Is there any file system faster than sshfs which allow me to do
> think samething as sshfs except encryption?
>
> Note: The remote server allow ftp,ssh,http,imap.pop3

Your only other option is ftpfs (I assume that you cannot run your own
webDAV module on the HTTP port).

 »It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
  By definition, there are already enough people to do that.«
                                                         -J.H. Hardy

  PGP fingerprint: 5B93 61F8 4EA2 E279 ABF6  02CF A9AD B7F8 AE4E 425C

Re: Any faster file system?

Alex deVries
The Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) over TCP is another choice for a
network filesystem.

- A