Error running example

Brandon Chai

Hi,

When running the hello.c example I am getting the following error:

fuse: error: filesystem requested capabilites that are not supported by kernel, aborting.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? I have loaded fuse.ko to the kernel.

Thanks,
Brandon

Re: Error running example

Nikolaus Rath
On Mar 09 2017, Brandon Chai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When running the hello.c example I am getting the following error:
>
> fuse: error: filesystem requested capabilites that are not supported by kernel, aborting.
>
> Any ideas as to why this is happening? I have loaded fuse.ko to the
> kernel.

Try again with a newer kernel or an older libfuse release. The examples
are intended to be as simple as possible, so there is deliberately no
code to keep them compatible with older kernels.

Re: Error running example

Miklos Szeredi
On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Nikolaus Rath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 09 2017, Brandon Chai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When running the hello.c example I am getting the following error:
>>
>> fuse: error: filesystem requested capabilites that are not supported by kernel, aborting.
>>
>> Any ideas as to why this is happening? I have loaded fuse.ko to the
>> kernel.
>
> Try again with a newer kernel or an older libfuse release. The examples
> are intended to be as simple as possible, so there is deliberately no
> code to keep them compatible with older kernels.

Okay, but what's in the hello example that would limit it to newer kernels?

Re: Error running example

Nikolaus Rath
On Mar 13 2017, Miklos Szeredi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Nikolaus Rath <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mar 09 2017, Brandon Chai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When running the hello.c example I am getting the following error:
>>>
>>> fuse: error: filesystem requested capabilites that are not supported by kernel, aborting.
>>>
>>> Any ideas as to why this is happening? I have loaded fuse.ko to the
>>> kernel.
>>
>> Try again with a newer kernel or an older libfuse release. The examples
>> are intended to be as simple as possible, so there is deliberately no
>> code to keep them compatible with older kernels.
>
> Okay, but what's in the hello example that would limit it to newer
> kernels?

Not sure. I just browsed through the capabilities, and most of them are
enabled by default only if supported by the kernel. So this would have
to be a pretty old kernel. Maybe the OP can clarify what he is trying to
use?

I recently discovered that the testcases for the examples were all
broken (there weren't accessing the fuse filesystem but /tmp), so there
are probably some bugs in the examples. This is high on my to-do list.