FUSE for Windows

Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen

Re: FUSE for Windows

Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen

Hi again,

The deadline has been pushed forward :D

So now I just need to find a mentor, before
7AM PDT, 14:00 UTC, 12:00 CEST tomorrow Tuesday.

Please I need a voluntere, to make this proposal possible.

Here is a list of that a mentor should do:

May 28 - July 9: Mentors give students a helping hand and guidance on
their projects

July 9: Students upload code to code.google.com/hosting; mentors begin
mid-term evaluations

August 20: Students upload code to code.google.com/hosting; mentors
begin final evaluations; students begin final program evaluations

August 31: Final evaluation deadline.

- --
Best Regards
Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen
http://asbjorn.it/

Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need a mentor for my Google Summer of Code project, FUSE for Windows.
> I am applying under the "alternate" proprosal option, which means what I
> should also suggest a mentor.
>
> I am in kind of a hurry since the deadline is 12AM UTC (5PM PDT), and I
> would like to be able to port FUSE this summer. I know I am late, but
> first found the FAQ entry, that made this GSoC idea possible, few
> moments ago.
>
> You can read more about the program at Google's site.
> http://code.google.com/soc/
>
> I will post more details if anyone is interested, but I short I plan to
> integrate it as small kernel driver, witch communicates with the
> user-mode program, much like the way it works on Linux. I won't make it
> as a Shell Extension (slow). So far IFS (seems impossible from what I
> have read, as it needs a device to bind to)
>
> Anyone interested?
>
> Previous announcement of my FUSE for Windows project:
> http://asbjorn.it/blog/2007/01/fuse-for-windows/

Re: FUSE for Windows

Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen

Re: FUSE for Windows

unxed

Take a look at this port attempt:
http://fuse4win.4host.ru/

Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen wrote

Re: FUSE for Windows

Jun OKAJIMA
Many candidates can be found on the net.
Google with keywords like
"fuse win32 windows user land filesystem"....

http://www.suchwerk.net/sodcms_FUSE_for_WINDOWS.htm
http://fuse4win.4host.ru/
http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/misc/BidRequests/ShowBidRequest.asp?lngBidRequestId=586300
http://dokan-dev.net/en/

And maybe more?

Re: FUSE for Windows

Matt Craighead
There are some deep, fundamental differences in how Windows vs. Unix file
systems work.  The following is far from exhaustive:
http://www.conifersystems.com/2008/10/21/windows-vs-unix-file-system-semantics/
I have some pretty serious doubts that it is possible to write a shim
between the FUSE API and the IFS driver model that handles all of these
issues correctly.  You may be able to hack around enough of them to get it
to work "90%", but you'll have a lot of trouble with that last frustrating
10%.

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:12 AM, Jun OKAJIMA <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Many candidates can be found on the net.
> Google with keywords like
> "fuse win32 windows user land filesystem"....
>
> http://www.suchwerk.net/sodcms_FUSE_for_WINDOWS.htm
> http://fuse4win.4host.ru/
>
> http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/misc/BidRequests/ShowBidRequest.asp?lngBidRequestId=586300
> http://dokan-dev.net/en/
>
> And maybe more?

Matt Craighead
Founder/CEO, Conifer Systems LLC
http://www.conifersystems.com
512-772-1834

Re: FUSE for Windows

Jun OKAJIMA
http://www.conifersystems.com/cascade/
http://www.conifersystems.com/2008/10/21/windows-vs-unix-file-system-semantics/
Cascade is yet another user land FS for Win32 ???

----
You are very right, even on just one point like
case sensitivity, it is very hard to solve.

So, you should separate discussion to two aspects:

1. A user land FS like FUSE, but for Win32.
2. FUSE for Win32, which can use same user land code
   as FUSE for Linux.

I guess most people would satisfy with 1.
Maybe this means people need a free clone version of
your Cascade FS?

       --- Okajima, Jun. Tokyo, Japan.
           http://www.digitalinfra.co.jp/
           http://www.machboot.com/
           http://www.colinux.org/

Re: FUSE for Windows

Matt Craighead
CFS is a particular file system driver that happens to be portable enough to
run under Windows, Linux, and Mac.  It uses FUSE on Linux and Mac, but I had
to develop my own kernel driver and user-space file system framework to get
it to work under Windows.  I looked at some of the Windows-based options
that were out there already and didn't find them to be terribly suitable.