FUSE gets slow when running in background

FUSE gets slow when running in background

Yue Li
hi FUSE developers,

I'm currently using the FUSE 3.x directly built from the repository.

I found that when I run my fuse based fs in debug mode or non-debug mode
with -f option, performance is normal.

However, if I removed -f in the non-debug mode, and let the fs go to
background, the performance is very bad.

I used a simple test which copies 5GB data into the mount point.

My current work-round is to use nohup and run the non-debug mode in
foreground.

Did I miss anything here?

Best,

Yue

Re: FUSE gets slow when running in background

Yue Li
When the performance was bad, the CPU utilization displayed by top
remained very low (lower than 30%), while in the foreground mode, it
could reach 200%.

Best,

Yue

On Jan 13 2017, Yue Li <yli-wUU9E3n5/[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi FUSE developers,
>
> I'm currently using the FUSE 3.x directly built from the repository.
>
> I found that when I run my fuse based fs in debug mode or non-debug mode
> with -f option, performance is normal.
>
> However, if I removed -f in the non-debug mode, and let the fs go to
> background, the performance is very bad.
>
> I used a simple test which copies 5GB data into the mount point.
>
> My current work-round is to use nohup and run the non-debug mode in
> foreground.
>
> Did I miss anything here?

Well..

 - Can you run the filesystem with a profile (oprofile or gprov) to
   determine where all the extra time is spend when not using -f?

 - Can you reproduce this with the example file systems?

 - If not, could you produce a minimal example on your own (based on
   your fuse-based fs), so that we can try to reproduce the problem?

On 1/17/17 8:48 PM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> On Jan 13 2017, Yue Li <yli-wUU9E3n5/[hidden email]> wrote:
>> hi FUSE developers,
>>
>> I'm currently using the FUSE 3.x directly built from the repository.
>>
>> I found that when I run my fuse based fs in debug mode or non-debug mode
>> with -f option, performance is normal.
>>
>> However, if I removed -f in the non-debug mode, and let the fs go to
>> background, the performance is very bad.
>>
>> I used a simple test which copies 5GB data into the mount point.
>>
>> My current work-round is to use nohup and run the non-debug mode in
>> foreground.
>>
>> Did I miss anything here?
> Well..
>
>   - Can you run the filesystem with a profile (oprofile or gprov) to
>     determine where all the extra time is spend when not using -f?
>
>   - Can you reproduce this with the example file systems?
>
>   - If not, could you produce a minimal example on your own (based on
>     your fuse-based fs), so that we can try to reproduce the problem?
Thanks for the suggestions! Let me try to do this and I will get back to
you soon.

Best,

Yue