FUSE presentation

Mads Kristensen
Hi guys.

I'm supposed to give a presentation/tutorial of how to develop
filesystems with FUSE to the members of my local LUG (http://oejlug.dk).

I have developed filesystems using FUSE before so I know the basics but
there are probably a _lot_ of details that I have missed, so my question
is: Are there any common pitfalls that I should be aware of? Do you have
any suggestions to topics that you think _should_ be in a FUSE
presentation/tutorial?

Any suggestions are welcome.

I'll start writing the presentation in the next couple of days so I'll
probably be asking a lot of questions in the near future just to be sure
that I've got everything right ;-)

My first question is about concurrency in FUSE. What can you expect
concurrencywise in a FUSE filesystem? Can all the functions be called
concurrently?

Best regards,
Mads D. Kristensen

PS: I'm giving this presentation in danish, but if there is enough
interest in it I could be persuaded to write all the slides/examples in
english so that they may be used as a sort of introduction to FUSE for
newbies.

Re: FUSE presentation

Miklos Szeredi
> My first question is about concurrency in FUSE. What can you expect
> concurrencywise in a FUSE filesystem? Can all the functions be called
> concurrently?

That depends on the filesystem.

If the filesystem can handle concurrent requests, then the FUSE kernel
module and library will be able supply the filesystem with (a limited
number of) concurrent requests, in the form of separate threads.

Otherwise the library must be told to run in single-thread mode.

> PS: I'm giving this presentation in danish, but if there is enough
> interest in it I could be persuaded to write all the slides/examples in
> english so that they may be used as a sort of introduction to FUSE for
> newbies.

That would be very nice.  If the slides could be converted to html,
they could be made available from the FUSE homepage.