Filesystem - Avoiding Fragmentation

Thibaut A
Hi,

We’ve got a school’s project about fuse. One of the few things asked is to create a fuse module that will implement a simple filesystem. It has to support some basics operations like Read/Write/Dele files, Create/Delete/rename directories…
But, there is one point that seems weird and I don’t know at all how to proceed :
The filesystem has to store files in an efficient way that avoids fragmentation.

I’ve searched around the web but I didn’t get any interesting results. That’s why I’m writing to you.

Could you help us with the problems ? Do you have any idea how to do that ?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Best regards,

Thibaut ARRIGONI

Re: Filesystem - Avoiding Fragmentation

Nikolaus Rath
On May 30 2016, Thibaut A <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We’ve got a school’s project about fuse. One of the few things asked is to
> create a fuse module that will implement a simple filesystem. It has to
> support some basics operations like Read/Write/Dele files,
> Create/Delete/rename directories…
> But, there is one point that seems weird and I don’t know at all how to
> proceed :
> The filesystem has to store files in an efficient way that avoids
> fragmentation.
>
> I’ve searched around the web but I didn’t get any interesting results.
> That’s why I’m writing to you.
>
> Could you help us with the problems ? Do you have any idea how to do
> that ?

How/where are the files supposed to be stored? Fragmentation occurs if
you store files at different positions on a continuous storage medium,
and it's only a problem if seeking on that medium is expensive.

If you simply store the files inside another file system, fragmentation
is not a concept that you can apply at your layer.

Best,
Nikolaus