Getting fuse fs type from userspace

Frederik Deweerdt-3
Hi,

I'm developing a fuse fs and a set of userland helper tools.
These are simple shell scripts and I'd like them to perform a
basic check on the fs type they are working on.
However, df and mount just indicate that we're on a "fuse" fs,
which is clearly not enough.
Is there a way to get that information? Otherwise, would
you be interested in a patch exporting to, lets say, /proc/fuse/
the mounted fs and their types?

Regards,
Frederik Deweerdt

--
o---------------------------------------------o
| http://open-news.net : l'info alternative   |

Re: Getting fuse fs type from userspace

John Muir-3
Frederik Deweerdt wrote:

>However, df and mount just indicate that we're on a "fuse" fs,
>which is clearly not enough.
>Is there a way to get that information? Otherwise, would
>you be interested in a patch exporting to, lets say, /proc/fuse/
>the mounted fs and their types?

For my 'fuse' file-system:

/proc/mounts shows:
muirfs /muirfs fuse
rw,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0

Clearly it is showing the correct file-system type. Perhaps this is
because in the mount options for my file-system, I use 'fsname=muirfs'.

John.

--
John Muir
NORTEL

Re: Getting fuse fs type from userspace

Frederik Deweerdt-3
Le 23/06/05 12:07 -0400, John Muir écrivit:
> Clearly it is showing the correct file-system type. Perhaps this is
> because in the mount options for my file-system, I use 'fsname=muirfs'.

That's it, passing fsname=<myfs> did the trick, thanks.

Frederik Deweerdt

--
o---------------------------------------------o
| http://open-news.net : l'info alternative   |
| Tech - Sciences - Politique - International |
o---------------------------------------------o

Re: Getting fuse fs type from userspace

> >However, df and mount just indicate that we're on a "fuse" fs,
> >which is clearly not enough.
> >Is there a way to get that information? Otherwise, would
> >you be interested in a patch exporting to, lets say, /proc/fuse/
> >the mounted fs and their types?
> >

> For my 'fuse' file-system:
>
> /proc/mounts shows:
> muirfs /muirfs fuse
> rw,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
>
> Clearly it is showing the correct file-system type. Perhaps this is
> because in the mount options for my file-system, I use 'fsname=muirfs'.

Yes, setting fsname to the filesystem type is a nice way to
differentiate different FUSE based filesystems.  When you want to use
fsname for other information you can set it to "type#otherinfo".

For example sshfs sets it to "sshfs#host:path".