Initial FUSE based BitTorrent file system up and running...

Initial FUSE based BitTorrent file system up and running...

Bill Cox
Hi.

I've completed initial integration of FUSE into my BitTorrent client.
The new program is called btmount.  It allows users to mount (currently
just one...) a BitTorrent .torrent file as a file system.  When you
cat/vi/more a file within the mounted .torrent, btmount goes off to the
net, and downloads the data requested.

It can be downloaded from btslave.sf.net.

It's kind of cool, but not hugely useful yet.  To become much more
useful, the BitTorrent protocol has to be extended/modified
significantly to allow it to work well with lots of often changing small
files, rather than a few static huge files.  This would allow programs
like YUM to work from torrents rather than FTP sites.  If I find the
time and motivation, I might work on such a project, but so far, there
hasn't been much demand from potential users...

I'll be out of town for all of next week, but I'll be able to offer any
needed support after that.

Bill

Re: Initial FUSE based BitTorrent file system up and running...

Petr Klíma
Bill Cox napsal(a):

> Hi.
>
> I've completed initial integration of FUSE into my BitTorrent client.
> The new program is called btmount.  It allows users to mount (currently
> just one...) a BitTorrent .torrent file as a file system.  When you
> cat/vi/more a file within the mounted .torrent, btmount goes off to the
> net, and downloads the data requested.
>
> It can be downloaded from btslave.sf.net.
>
> It's kind of cool, but not hugely useful yet.  To become much more
> useful, the BitTorrent protocol has to be extended/modified
> significantly to allow it to work well with lots of often changing small
> files, rather than a few static huge files.  This would allow programs
> like YUM to work from torrents rather than FTP sites.  If I find the
> time and motivation, I might work on such a project, but so far, there
> hasn't been much demand from potential users...

from my point of view it would be much more interestinf if it supports
writes to THE torrent

I imagine ONE torrent of SOME documentation (just for example) where
updates are often, but usualy a few files. (autoupdate torrent ???)
        - I am happy I need not download all files again
        ( i know patch, but lot of users don't )

I imagine I can write to content of the torrent (problem of access
rights??? (two version of torrent file - one for reoad only one for RW))
        - an system for large decentralized information interchange
        (meteo data network)

I imagine torrentFS where is downloaded just the part (file) which I
curently need (I am triing to access it), with cache implemeted.
        - I mount 10TB torrent with cache size 100MB, so on my system
        there is maximum of 100MB last/most frequently used files

> I'll be out of town for all of next week, but I'll be able to offer any
> needed support after that.

    Petr Klíma

    e-mail:  [hidden email]       JIHOMILK a.s.
    phone:   +420 389 136 209             Rudolfovská 246/83
    web:     http://www.jihomilk.cz       370 50 České Budějovice
                                          Czech Republic

Re: Initial FUSE based BitTorrent file system up and running...

Kuniyasu Suzaki

Dear,

BTSlave looks file but I want to know the detail of performance.

Your home page says the bandwidth of BTSlave is 40KB/sec. Please tell
me the condtion of the result. How many BTSlaves were executed?
Where is these network sites of BTSlaves?
Can we increase the bandwidth if many BTSlaves are activated?

 >>From: Bill Cox <[hidden email]>
 >>Subject: [fuse-devel] Initial FUSE based BitTorrent file system up and running...
 >>
 >>I've completed initial integration of FUSE into my BitTorrent client.
 >>The new program is called btmount.  It allows users to mount (currently
 >>just one...) a BitTorrent .torrent file as a file system.  When you
 >>cat/vi/more a file within the mounted .torrent, btmount goes off to the
 >>net, and downloads the data requested.
 >>
 >>It can be downloaded from btslave.sf.net.
 >>
 >>It's kind of cool, but not hugely useful yet.  To become much more
 >>useful, the BitTorrent protocol has to be extended/modified
 >>significantly to allow it to work well with lots of often changing small
 >>files, rather than a few static huge files.  This would allow programs

I'm very interested in the extension. I want to distribute many small files.
The size is less than 256KB. The number of files is more than 10,000.
Can we acess the files on BTSlave quickly? Do you have any idea to
hide network latency?

------
suzaki

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 23:23 +0900, Kuniyasu Suzaki wrote:
> Dear,
>
> BTSlave looks file but I want to know the detail of performance.
>
> Your home page says the bandwidth of BTSlave is 40KB/sec. Please tell
> me the condtion of the result. How many BTSlaves were executed?
> Where is these network sites of BTSlaves?
> Can we increase the bandwidth if many BTSlaves are activated?

Actually, BTSlave runs at 1Mbyte/second when I transfer files between
machines at home.  I think the limit is probably my router hardware,
rather than BTSlave, since not much CPU time is used.

The 40KB/sec number is what I get when downloading a popular file from a
torrent that has few seeds and many downloaders.  That's because my
upload rate is 40KB/sec, and to be fair, the torrent only lets me have
as much data as I contribute.

BTSlave still has at least one bug when run as a slave repeater that I
should probably work out.  However, it works fine for me when the slave
is not in repeater mode, and is downloading the entire torrent.  So far
as I know, I am the only user of BTSlave, and I use my work connection
to help accelerate my own downloads from home.

There is not yet any torrent of friends to help BTSlave find download
friends.  If there is still significant interest, I'll go make one.
However, I kind of get the feeling that interest in plain old BitTorrent
died down after supernova.org shut down.

>  >>From: Bill Cox <[hidden email]>
>  >>Subject: [fuse-devel] Initial FUSE based BitTorrent file system up and running...
>  >>
>  >>I've completed initial integration of FUSE into my BitTorrent client.
>  >>The new program is called btmount.  It allows users to mount (currently
>  >>just one...) a BitTorrent .torrent file as a file system.  When you
>  >>cat/vi/more a file within the mounted .torrent, btmount goes off to the
>  >>net, and downloads the data requested.
>  >>
>  >>It can be downloaded from btslave.sf.net.
>  >>
>  >>It's kind of cool, but not hugely useful yet.  To become much more
>  >>useful, the BitTorrent protocol has to be extended/modified
>  >>significantly to allow it to work well with lots of often changing small
>  >>files, rather than a few static huge files.  This would allow programs
>
> I'm very interested in the extension. I want to distribute many small files.
> The size is less than 256KB. The number of files is more than 10,000.
> Can we acess the files on BTSlave quickly? Do you have any idea to
> hide network latency?
>
> ------
> suzaki

Currently, BTSlave can't help deliver these files better than plain old
BitTorrent.  I'd need to make drastic modifications to the protocol to
make this work.

Since I am looking into possible protocol modifications, I'd be very
interested in hearing more about your needs.  Do you update these files
often?  How much latency is acceptable?  Are these files streaming data,
so that if I can get you the first part, you're happy playing them while
I get the rest?

Bill

Re: Initial FUSE based BitTorrent file system up and running...

Kuniyasu Suzaki

 >>From: Bill Cox <[hidden email]>
 >>Subject: Re: [fuse-devel] Initial FUSE based BitTorrent file system up and running...
 >>
 >>On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 23:23 +0900, Kuniyasu Suzaki wrote:
 >>> Dear,
 >>>
 >>> BTSlave looks file but I want to know the detail of performance.
 >>>
 >>> Your home page says the bandwidth of BTSlave is 40KB/sec. Please tell
 >>> me the condtion of the result. How many BTSlaves were executed?
 >>> Where is these network sites of BTSlaves?
 >>> Can we increase the bandwidth if many BTSlaves are activated?
 >>
 >>Actually, BTSlave runs at 1Mbyte/second when I transfer files between
 >>machines at home.  I think the limit is probably my router hardware,
 >>rather than BTSlave, since not much CPU time is used.

It looks like that 1MB/s the max bandwidth of BTSlave. Is it true?
I image the bottleneck is the download strategy of current Bittorrent.

 >>>  >>From: Bill Cox <[hidden email]>
 >>>  >>Subject: [fuse-devel] Initial FUSE based BitTorrent file system up and running...
 >>>  >>
 >>>  >>It's kind of cool, but not hugely useful yet.  To become much more
 >>>  >>useful, the BitTorrent protocol has to be extended/modified
 >>>  >>significantly to allow it to work well with lots of often changing small
 >>>  >>files, rather than a few static huge files.  This would allow programs
 >>>
 >>> I'm very interested in the extension. I want to distribute many small files.
 >>> The size is less than 256KB. The number of files is more than 10,000.
 >>> Can we acess the files on BTSlave quickly? Do you have any idea to
 >>> hide network latency?
 >>>
 >>Currently, BTSlave can't help deliver these files better than plain old
 >>BitTorrent.  I'd need to make drastic modifications to the protocol to
 >>make this work.
 >>
 >>Since I am looking into possible protocol modifications, I'd be very
 >>interested in hearing more about your needs.  Do you update these files
 >>often?  How much latency is acceptable?  Are these files streaming data,
 >>so that if I can get you the first part, you're happy playing them while
 >>I get the rest?

Not so often. The latency which is less than 50msec is acceptable, I
hope. The files are accessed randomly. If you want to know my
request, please refer the following HP.

 http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/http-fuse/index-en.html

-----
suzaki