Quantcast

Inodes both 32-bit and 64-bit

David Shaw
I've been experimenting with use_ino, as this is needed to support
"pwd" over NFS.  Is there a size limit for the inode?  ino_t is 64
bits long ( sizeof(ino_t)==8 ), but using an inode number that is
larger than 32 bits gets truncated.  For example, if I use inode
0x100000001 for a file, when I stat that file, I get back an inode of
1.

Any thoughts?

David

Re: Inodes both 32-bit and 64-bit

Joshua J. Berry
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 05:25:24PM -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> I've been experimenting with use_ino, as this is needed to support
> "pwd" over NFS.  Is there a size limit for the inode?  ino_t is 64
> bits long ( sizeof(ino_t)==8 ), but using an inode number that is
> larger than 32 bits gets truncated.  For example, if I use inode
> 0x100000001 for a file, when I stat that file, I get back an inode of
> 1.
>
> Any thoughts?

How big is the ino_t that your stat() call is using?

--
Joshua J. Berry

"I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere."
    -- /usr/games/fortune

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 03:10:52PM -0700, Joshua J. Berry wrote:

> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 05:25:24PM -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> > I've been experimenting with use_ino, as this is needed to support
> > "pwd" over NFS.  Is there a size limit for the inode?  ino_t is 64
> > bits long ( sizeof(ino_t)==8 ), but using an inode number that is
> > larger than 32 bits gets truncated.  For example, if I use inode
> > 0x100000001 for a file, when I stat that file, I get back an inode of
> > 1.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> How big is the ino_t that your stat() call is using?

64 bits.  It's 64 bits in size when it goes in, and 64 bits in size
when it comes out.  It's just that the contents of the field are
truncated to 32 bits.

David