New FUSE based filesystem: CORNFS - v0.0.0.2 available.

New FUSE based filesystem: CORNFS - v0.0.0.2 available.

Ian C. Blenke
I've been working on a quick and dirty FUSE filesystem that has reached
a usable state over the past couple of days.

    http://ian.blenke.com/projects/cornfs/cornfs.html

CORNFS is an attempt at creating a distributed filesystem that mirrors N
copies of files across a group of M number of servers.

Everything in CORNFS is stored as a file. Remote filesystems are mounted
over a network filesystem like NFS/SHFS/SSHFS. Rather than mirroring at
the volume or block level, CORNFS mirrors at the file level, tracking
what servers a file is mirrored on.
CORNFS works with locally cached copies of files and a central metadata
state directory.

I've not found anything else quite like it, and this promises to server
our needs well.

If there is any interest in the FUSE development community, I wouldn't
mind starting a SourceForge project for it.

 - Ian C. Blenke <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> http://ian.blenke.com

Re: New FUSE based filesystem: CORNFS - v0.0.0.2 available.

Shawn Rutledge
Sounds cool, I've been wondering for years when somebody was going to
get around to this.

On 7/25/05, Ian C. Blenke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been working on a quick and dirty FUSE filesystem that has reached
> a usable state over the past couple of days.
>
>     http://ian.blenke.com/projects/cornfs/cornfs.html
>
> CORNFS is an attempt at creating a distributed filesystem that mirrors N
> copies of files across a group of M number of servers.
>
> Everything in CORNFS is stored as a file. Remote filesystems are mounted
> over a network filesystem like NFS/SHFS/SSHFS. Rather than mirroring at
> the volume or block level, CORNFS mirrors at the file level, tracking
> what servers a file is mirrored on.
> CORNFS works with locally cached copies of files and a central metadata
> state directory.
>
> I've not found anything else quite like it, and this promises to server
> our needs well.
>
> If there is any interest in the FUSE development community, I wouldn't
> mind starting a SourceForge project for it.
>
>  - Ian C. Blenke <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> http://ian.blenke.com

Re: New FUSE based filesystem: CORNFS - v0.0.0.2 available.

>I've been working on a quick and dirty FUSE filesystem that has reached
>a usable state over the past couple of days.
>
>    http://ian.blenke.com/projects/cornfs/cornfs.html

Added this entry to 'Filesystems':

Name: Clustered Ordinary Raid Network File System (CORNFS)

Author: Ian C. Blenke / icblenke at nks net

Homepage: http://ian.blenke.com/projects/cornfs/cornfs.html

  CORNFS is an attempt at creating a distributed filesystem that
  mirrors N copies of files across a group of M number of
  servers. Everything in CORNFS is stored as a file. At any time, it
  is possible to reconstruct the entire filesystem via a simple
  overlay rsync from the remote filesystems.

Is it OK?

Miklos Szeredi wrote:

>>I've been working on a quick and dirty FUSE filesystem that has reached
>>a usable state over the past couple of days.
>>
>>   http://ian.blenke.com/projects/cornfs/cornfs.html
>>

>Added this entry to 'Filesystems':

>Name: Clustered Ordinary Raid Network File System (CORNFS)
>
>Author: Ian C. Blenke / icblenke at nks net
>
>Homepage: http://ian.blenke.com/projects/cornfs/cornfs.html

>  CORNFS is an attempt at creating a distributed filesystem that
>  mirrors N copies of files across a group of M number of
>  servers. Everything in CORNFS is stored as a file. At any time, it
>  is possible to reconstruct the entire filesystem via a simple
>  overlay rsync from the remote filesystems.

>Is it OK?

Looks ok to me.

Fair warning: my webserver has taken a dive in the wee-hours of the
morning. I'm furiously attempting to replace it now.

- Ian C. Blenke <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>