New Maintainer and Future Plans

Nikolaus Rath
Hello everyone,

I am happy to announce that Miklos has transferred maintainership of
(userspace) FUSE to me. Please join me in thanking Miklos for the years
of effort he has invested into creating and maintaining FUSE! Without
him, we would be missing a wonderful piece of open source software and
important component of the Linux kernel. I am honored to follow in his
footsteps.

My first objectives as the new maintainer will be to

  (1) move FUSE from Sourceforge to a different hoster, and
  (2) get a FUSE 3 release out.

Apart from that, I currently do not plan any major changes. I believe
FUSE works very well the way it is, and I see my responsibility mostly
in keeping things running smoothly, i.e. responding and tracking any bug
reports[1], keeping the toolchain up to date, and making periodic
releases.

That said, a change in maintainer is always a good opportunity to
solicit input from the community. So if you have any ideas for FUSE that
you think did not get the attention they deserved in the past (or that
you did not dare to bring up until now), please speak up.

In that spirit, I'd like to start by asking if people have any
preferences as to where FUSE should be (primarily) hosted. I definitely
want to move away from Sourceforge because the UI is terrible and it's
generally become the place where open source projects go to die. My
current favorite is Github simply due to its popularity, but does have
the disadvantage of not being free and not allowing to attach files to
bugreports. So if you have any thoughts or suggestions, please let me
know. I think other feasible options would be e.g. Gitlab or Kallithea.

All the best,
-Nikolaus

[1] I actually intend to start using a web-based bug tracker for FUSE
    instead of relying solely on the mailing list. Hopefully this will
    be facilitated by moving to a new hoster.

Re: New Maintainer and Future Plans

Luca Risolia
Hi Nikolaus,

many thanks to Miklos for his efforts and congrats to you!

So here is (once again) my request for the upcoming release, that is
the inclusion of mmap() in CUSE. It's an important missing feature we
have been waiting for many many months now. The patch (consisting of
both kernel and libfuse parts) is ready and has submitted some time ago
to this mailing list. We spent a lot of time in developing and testing
it. In facts, Miklos had already tried to apply this patch sometime ago,
but that failed because of some formatting issues in the text lines.
Jader (the author) was kind enough to re-submit a second, fixed version
of the same patch but unfortunately Miklos has never had the time to
apply it for the second time.

+1 for github.

Thank you.

Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am happy to announce that Miklos has transferred maintainership of
> (userspace) FUSE to me. Please join me in thanking Miklos for the years
> of effort he has invested into creating and maintaining FUSE! Without
> him, we would be missing a wonderful piece of open source software and
> important component of the Linux kernel. I am honored to follow in his
> footsteps.
>
> My first objectives as the new maintainer will be to
>
>    (1) move FUSE from Sourceforge to a different hoster, and
>    (2) get a FUSE 3 release out.
>
> Apart from that, I currently do not plan any major changes. I believe
> FUSE works very well the way it is, and I see my responsibility mostly
> in keeping things running smoothly, i.e. responding and tracking any bug
> reports[1], keeping the toolchain up to date, and making periodic
> releases.
>
> That said, a change in maintainer is always a good opportunity to
> solicit input from the community. So if you have any ideas for FUSE that
> you think did not get the attention they deserved in the past (or that
> you did not dare to bring up until now), please speak up.
>
> In that spirit, I'd like to start by asking if people have any
> preferences as to where FUSE should be (primarily) hosted. I definitely
> want to move away from Sourceforge because the UI is terrible and it's
> generally become the place where open source projects go to die. My
> current favorite is Github simply due to its popularity, but does have
> the disadvantage of not being free and not allowing to attach files to
> bugreports. So if you have any thoughts or suggestions, please let me
> know. I think other feasible options would be e.g. Gitlab or Kallithea.
>
> All the best,
> -Nikolaus
>

> [1] I actually intend to start using a web-based bug tracker for FUSE
>      instead of relying solely on the mailing list. Hopefully this will
>      be facilitated by moving to a new hoster.

Re: New Maintainer and Future Plans

Antonio SJ Musumeci
Congrats

+1 for Github but I just really want something with an issue tracker. :)

One feature I'd like to see considered is the stacked io patch that was
posted recently and the ability to modify some of the libfuse controlled
resources like the thread pool. I'm happy to submit some patches for the
latter once v3 is out.

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Nikolaus Rath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am happy to announce that Miklos has transferred maintainership of
> (userspace) FUSE to me. Please join me in thanking Miklos for the years
> of effort he has invested into creating and maintaining FUSE! Without
> him, we would be missing a wonderful piece of open source software and
> important component of the Linux kernel. I am honored to follow in his
> footsteps.
>
> My first objectives as the new maintainer will be to
>
>   (1) move FUSE from Sourceforge to a different hoster, and
>   (2) get a FUSE 3 release out.
>
> Apart from that, I currently do not plan any major changes. I believe
> FUSE works very well the way it is, and I see my responsibility mostly
> in keeping things running smoothly, i.e. responding and tracking any bug
> reports[1], keeping the toolchain up to date, and making periodic
> releases.
>
> That said, a change in maintainer is always a good opportunity to
> solicit input from the community. So if you have any ideas for FUSE that
> you think did not get the attention they deserved in the past (or that
> you did not dare to bring up until now), please speak up.
>
> In that spirit, I'd like to start by asking if people have any
> preferences as to where FUSE should be (primarily) hosted. I definitely
> want to move away from Sourceforge because the UI is terrible and it's
> generally become the place where open source projects go to die. My
> current favorite is Github simply due to its popularity, but does have
> the disadvantage of not being free and not allowing to attach files to
> bugreports. So if you have any thoughts or suggestions, please let me
> know. I think other feasible options would be e.g. Gitlab or Kallithea.
>
> All the best,
> -Nikolaus
>

> [1] I actually intend to start using a web-based bug tracker for FUSE
>     instead of relying solely on the mailing list. Hopefully this will
>     be facilitated by moving to a new hoster.
>
> --
> GPG encrypted emails preferred. Key id: 0xD113FCAC3C4E599F
> Fingerprint: ED31 791B 2C5C 1613 AF38 8B8A D113 FCAC 3C4E 599F
>
>              »Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana.«

Re: New Maintainer and Future Plans

Michael Zimmermann
Antonio SJ Musumeci: Github actually has an issue tracker including
milestones and labels :)

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 4:20 AM, Antonio SJ Musumeci <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Congrats
>
> +1 for Github but I just really want something with an issue tracker. :)
>
> One feature I'd like to see considered is the stacked io patch that was
> posted recently and the ability to modify some of the libfuse controlled
> resources like the thread pool. I'm happy to submit some patches for the
> latter once v3 is out.
>
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Nikolaus Rath <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I am happy to announce that Miklos has transferred maintainership of
> > (userspace) FUSE to me. Please join me in thanking Miklos for the years
> > of effort he has invested into creating and maintaining FUSE! Without
> > him, we would be missing a wonderful piece of open source software and
> > important component of the Linux kernel. I am honored to follow in his
> > footsteps.
> >
> > My first objectives as the new maintainer will be to
> >
> >   (1) move FUSE from Sourceforge to a different hoster, and
> >   (2) get a FUSE 3 release out.
> >
> > Apart from that, I currently do not plan any major changes. I believe
> > FUSE works very well the way it is, and I see my responsibility mostly
> > in keeping things running smoothly, i.e. responding and tracking any bug
> > reports[1], keeping the toolchain up to date, and making periodic
> > releases.
> >
> > That said, a change in maintainer is always a good opportunity to
> > solicit input from the community. So if you have any ideas for FUSE that
> > you think did not get the attention they deserved in the past (or that
> > you did not dare to bring up until now), please speak up.
> >
> > In that spirit, I'd like to start by asking if people have any
> > preferences as to where FUSE should be (primarily) hosted. I definitely
> > want to move away from Sourceforge because the UI is terrible and it's
> > generally become the place where open source projects go to die. My
> > current favorite is Github simply due to its popularity, but does have
> > the disadvantage of not being free and not allowing to attach files to
> > bugreports. So if you have any thoughts or suggestions, please let me
> > know. I think other feasible options would be e.g. Gitlab or Kallithea.
> >
> > All the best,
> > -Nikolaus
> >

> > [1] I actually intend to start using a web-based bug tracker for FUSE
> >     instead of relying solely on the mailing list. Hopefully this will
> >     be facilitated by moving to a new hoster.
> >
> > --
> > GPG encrypted emails preferred. Key id: 0xD113FCAC3C4E599F
> > Fingerprint: ED31 791B 2C5C 1613 AF38 8B8A D113 FCAC 3C4E 599F
> >
> >              »Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana.«

Re: New Maintainer and Future Plans

Niels de Vos
On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 12:59:35PM -0800, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am happy to announce that Miklos has transferred maintainership of
> (userspace) FUSE to me. Please join me in thanking Miklos for the years
> of effort he has invested into creating and maintaining FUSE! Without
> him, we would be missing a wonderful piece of open source software and
> important component of the Linux kernel. I am honored to follow in his
> footsteps.

Thanks Miklos! And thanks Nikolaus for picking it up :)

> My first objectives as the new maintainer will be to
>
>   (1) move FUSE from Sourceforge to a different hoster, and
>   (2) get a FUSE 3 release out.
>
> Apart from that, I currently do not plan any major changes. I believe
> FUSE works very well the way it is, and I see my responsibility mostly
> in keeping things running smoothly, i.e. responding and tracking any bug
> reports[1], keeping the toolchain up to date, and making periodic
> releases.
>
> That said, a change in maintainer is always a good opportunity to
> solicit input from the community. So if you have any ideas for FUSE that
> you think did not get the attention they deserved in the past (or that
> you did not dare to bring up until now), please speak up.
>
> In that spirit, I'd like to start by asking if people have any
> preferences as to where FUSE should be (primarily) hosted. I definitely
> want to move away from Sourceforge because the UI is terrible and it's
> generally become the place where open source projects go to die. My
> current favorite is Github simply due to its popularity, but does have
> the disadvantage of not being free and not allowing to attach files to
> bugreports. So if you have any thoughts or suggestions, please let me
> know. I think other feasible options would be e.g. Gitlab or Kallithea.
https://pagure.io/ is a complete open platform that the Fedora
Engineering team started as a replacement for their GitHub projects.
There are some non-Fedora projects on there already too. At the moment
it requires a Fedora Account to login, that may not be suitable for
libfuse thought :-/

GitHub seems to be the place where most developers hang around. Using
that would make it a little easier to get contributions from others.

Cheers,
Niels

On Dec 12 2015, Luca Risolia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So here is (once again) my request for the upcoming release, that is
> the inclusion of mmap() in CUSE. It's an important missing feature we
> have been waiting for many many months now. The patch (consisting of
> both kernel and libfuse parts) is ready and has submitted some time ago
> to this mailing list. We spent a lot of time in developing and testing
> it. In facts, Miklos had already tried to apply this patch sometime ago,
> but that failed because of some formatting issues in the text lines.
> Jader (the author) was kind enough to re-submit a second, fixed version
> of the same patch but unfortunately Miklos has never had the time to
> apply it for the second time.

I am not opposed (though I'll need to take a closer look before
merging). However, I only have commit access to libfuse - not to the
FUSE kernel module (and my Acked-By would not count for much either). So
in order to get things moving, you'd still need to find an interested
kernel maintainer.

I don't mind merging the userspace parts before the kernel functionality
is there, but I would most likely delay including it in a release until
it's in the kernel.

On Dec 12 2015, Antonio SJ Musumeci <[hidden email]> wrote:
> One feature I'd like to see considered is the stacked io patch that was
> posted recently

No objections, but the same caveat applies: you need to find someone to
gate it into the kernel.

> and the ability to modify some of the libfuse controlled
> resources like the thread pool. I'm happy to submit some patches for the
> latter once v3 is out.

Great! Looking forward to get them.

Re: New Maintainer and Future Plans

Hans Beckerus
+1 for GitHub
Its free unless you need private branches.
GitHub do support attachments in issue reports.

And finally, congrats Nikolaus and good luck with your new mission! :)

Thanks.
Hans

On 2015-12-12 10:20, Luca Risolia wrote:

> Hi Nikolaus,
>
> many thanks to Miklos for his efforts and congrats to you!
>
> So here is (once again) my request for the upcoming release, that is
> the inclusion of mmap() in CUSE. It's an important missing feature we
> have been waiting for many many months now. The patch (consisting of
> both kernel and libfuse parts) is ready and has submitted some time ago
> to this mailing list. We spent a lot of time in developing and testing
> it. In facts, Miklos had already tried to apply this patch sometime ago,
> but that failed because of some formatting issues in the text lines.
> Jader (the author) was kind enough to re-submit a second, fixed version
> of the same patch but unfortunately Miklos has never had the time to
> apply it for the second time.
>
> +1 for github.
>
> Thank you.
>

> Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I am happy to announce that Miklos has transferred maintainership of
>> (userspace) FUSE to me. Please join me in thanking Miklos for the years
>> of effort he has invested into creating and maintaining FUSE! Without
>> him, we would be missing a wonderful piece of open source software and
>> important component of the Linux kernel. I am honored to follow in his
>> footsteps.
>>
>> My first objectives as the new maintainer will be to
>>
>>     (1) move FUSE from Sourceforge to a different hoster, and
>>     (2) get a FUSE 3 release out.
>>
>> Apart from that, I currently do not plan any major changes. I believe
>> FUSE works very well the way it is, and I see my responsibility mostly
>> in keeping things running smoothly, i.e. responding and tracking any bug
>> reports[1], keeping the toolchain up to date, and making periodic
>> releases.
>>
>> That said, a change in maintainer is always a good opportunity to
>> solicit input from the community. So if you have any ideas for FUSE that
>> you think did not get the attention they deserved in the past (or that
>> you did not dare to bring up until now), please speak up.
>>
>> In that spirit, I'd like to start by asking if people have any
>> preferences as to where FUSE should be (primarily) hosted. I definitely
>> want to move away from Sourceforge because the UI is terrible and it's
>> generally become the place where open source projects go to die. My
>> current favorite is Github simply due to its popularity, but does have
>> the disadvantage of not being free and not allowing to attach files to
>> bugreports. So if you have any thoughts or suggestions, please let me
>> know. I think other feasible options would be e.g. Gitlab or Kallithea.
>>
>> All the best,
>> -Nikolaus
>>

>> [1] I actually intend to start using a web-based bug tracker for FUSE
>>       instead of relying solely on the mailing list. Hopefully this will
>>       be facilitated by moving to a new hoster.

Re: New Maintainer and Future Plans

Antonio SJ Musumeci
To be clear... who's maintaining the kernel side of things? Miklos?

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Hans Beckerus <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >> you did not dare to bring up until now), please speak up.
> >>
> >> In that spirit, I'd like to start by asking if people have any
> >> preferences as to where FUSE should be (primarily) hosted. I definitely
> >> want to move away from Sourceforge because the UI is terrible and it's
> >> generally become the place where open source projects go to die. My
> >> current favorite is Github simply due to its popularity, but does have
> >> the disadvantage of not being free and not allowing to attach files to
> >> bugreports. So if you have any thoughts or suggestions, please let me
> >> know. I think other feasible options would be e.g. Gitlab or Kallithea.
> >>
> >> All the best,
> >> -Nikolaus
> >>

> >> [1] I actually intend to start using a web-based bug tracker for FUSE
> >>       instead of relying solely on the mailing list. Hopefully this will
> >>       be facilitated by moving to a new hoster.

Nick Guiffrida
+1 for github