Release plans for FUSE 3?

Nikolaus Rath
Hello,

What are the current plans for a release of FUSE 3? It would be great to
have writeback caching and readdir_plus support in an official release.

Re: Release plans for FUSE 3?

Nikolaus Rath
*ping*

Is there a schedule for FUSE 3?

On Oct 02 2015, Nikolaus Rath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What are the current plans for a release of FUSE 3? It would be great to
> have writeback caching and readdir_plus support in an official release.
>

> Best,
> -Nikolaus
>
> --
> GPG encrypted emails preferred. Key id: 0xD113FCAC3C4E599F
> Fingerprint: ED31 791B 2C5C 1613 AF38 8B8A D113 FCAC 3C4E 599F
>
>              »Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana.«

Re: Release plans for FUSE 3?

Miklos Szeredi
On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:37 AM, Nikolaus Rath <[hidden email]> wrote:
> *ping*
>
> Is there a schedule for FUSE 3?

Not really.

I think it's pretty obvious that I'm not giving FUSE as much time as
it needs.  What I think the main reason for this is, FUSE has grown
up.  It's my creation "my child", but I feel it's time for it to
"leave the nest" and have some independent life.

So let me answer the original question by asking:  is someone willing
to help with/take over maintenance of the libfuse-3.0 code base?

It would not probably not be too difficult, as I feel it's in a pretty
good shape at the moment.  And I'd be happy to help and continue with
some involvement in fuse development.  Also note, this doesn't
(necessarily) involve any kernel development.  The kernel part of fuse
is largely independent of the userspace bits and I think they can be
easily maintained by two different people.

Re: Release plans for FUSE 3?

Antonio SJ Musumeci
I'd be interested in helping in whatever capacity.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 3:19 AM, Miklos Szeredi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:37 AM, Nikolaus Rath <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > *ping*
> >
> > Is there a schedule for FUSE 3?
>
> Not really.
>
> I think it's pretty obvious that I'm not giving FUSE as much time as
> it needs.  What I think the main reason for this is, FUSE has grown
> up.  It's my creation "my child", but I feel it's time for it to
> "leave the nest" and have some independent life.
>
> So let me answer the original question by asking:  is someone willing
> to help with/take over maintenance of the libfuse-3.0 code base?
>
> It would not probably not be too difficult, as I feel it's in a pretty
> good shape at the moment.  And I'd be happy to help and continue with
> some involvement in fuse development.  Also note, this doesn't
> (necessarily) involve any kernel development.  The kernel part of fuse
> is largely independent of the userspace bits and I think they can be
> easily maintained by two different people.
>
> Thanks,
> Miklos

Re: Release plans for FUSE 3?

On Nov 12 2015, Miklos Szeredi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:37 AM, Nikolaus Rath <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> *ping*
>>
>> Is there a schedule for FUSE 3?
>
> Not really.
>
> I think it's pretty obvious that I'm not giving FUSE as much time as
> it needs.  What I think the main reason for this is, FUSE has grown
> up.  It's my creation "my child", but I feel it's time for it to
> "leave the nest" and have some independent life.
>
> So let me answer the original question by asking:  is someone willing
> to help with/take over maintenance of the libfuse-3.0 code base?
>
> It would not probably not be too difficult, as I feel it's in a pretty
> good shape at the moment.  And I'd be happy to help and continue with
> some involvement in fuse development.  Also note, this doesn't
> (necessarily) involve any kernel development.  The kernel part of fuse
> is largely independent of the userspace bits and I think they can be
> easily maintained by two different people.

I would be interested in this. I have studied the userspace components
of FUSE quite thoroughly over the least years as part of my work on a
Python interface to the low-level API
(https://bitbucket.org/nikratio/python-llfuse). As far as kernel
components go, I have almost no experience (the most I did were
some tiny adjustments to driver code), though I have gathered some
theoretical knowledge of the VFS layer over time from various books, LWN
articles and following the discussions here. My contributions to FUSE
have so far been limited to documentation patches (unless I'm forgetting
something), but there's no reason it'd have to stay that way.

I'd be happy to take the lead or help out with someone else in charge -
whatever it takes to get FUSE3 development going again.