What's the ulockmgr_server alternative

yin zhuhua
Hello Nikolaus,

The latest libfuse 3 change log shows that ulockmgr_server will not supported. What would you suggest to use for file locking?

Thanks & Regards,
Zhuhua

Re: What's the ulockmgr_server alternative

Nikolaus Rath
On Dec 18 2016, yin zhuhua <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Nikolaus,
>
> The latest libfuse 3 change log shows that ulockmgr_server will not
> supported. What would you suggest to use for file locking?

Sorry, no idea. This happened before my time. Wasn't ulockmgr_server
just factored out into a separate package? It seems libfuse still
supports it (at least the configure script is looking for it).

Re: What's the ulockmgr_server alternative

Stef Bon-2
> Hello Nikolaus,
>
> The latest libfuse 3 change log shows that ulockmgr_server will not
> supported. What would you suggest to use for file locking?

Hi Zhuhua

Well the ulockmgr tried to handle the locking if there are more than
one fuse filesystems.
(I think, correct me if I'm wrong).
If you have only one filesystem running on your system with a local
backend, you can do without ulockmgr.
If you have more fuse filesystems possibly accessuing the same data,
or you have network fs, where more users can access the same data at
the same time,
you need to write a lock sollution yourself.

Stef

Re: What's the ulockmgr_server alternative

yin zhuhua
Stef and Nikolaus,

Thank you for your reply. There is only one fuse file systems in my solution.

The ulockmgr_server crashed in my environment at pthread_cancel. It's weird.

Best regards,
Zhuhua

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 10:51 AM, Stef Bon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Nikolaus,
>
> The latest libfuse 3 change log shows that ulockmgr_server will not
> supported. What would you suggest to use for file locking?

Hi Zhuhua

Well the ulockmgr tried to handle the locking if there are more than
one fuse filesystems.
(I think, correct me if I'm wrong).
If you have only one filesystem running on your system with a local
backend, you can do without ulockmgr.
If you have more fuse filesystems possibly accessuing the same data,
or you have network fs, where more users can access the same data at
the same time,
you need to write a lock sollution yourself.

Stef

Re: What's the ulockmgr_server alternative

Bernd Schubert-7

On 19.12.2016 17:51, Stef Bon wrote:

>> Hello Nikolaus,
>>
>> The latest libfuse 3 change log shows that ulockmgr_server will not
>> supported. What would you suggest to use for file locking?
>>
> Hi Zhuhua
>
> Well the ulockmgr tried to handle the locking if there are more than
> one fuse filesystems.
> (I think, correct me if I'm wrong).
> If you have only one filesystem running on your system with a local
> backend, you can do without ulockmgr.
> If you have more fuse filesystems possibly accessuing the same data,
> or you have network fs, where more users can access the same data at
> the same time,
> you need to write a lock sollution yourself.

It also might be useful when the fuse file system is on top of a network
file system and there might be different users of this network file
system. Even locally, as the vfs won't pass through the lock request
from the overlay to the underlying fs.

Bernd

On 18.12.2016 23:13, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> On Dec 18 2016, yin zhuhua <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Nikolaus,
>>
>> The latest libfuse 3 change log shows that ulockmgr_server will not
>> supported. What would you suggest to use for file locking?
>
> Sorry, no idea. This happened before my time. Wasn't ulockmgr_server
> just factored out into a separate package? It seems libfuse still
> supports it (at least the configure script is looking for it).

I couldn't find a repo for it either, so 'removed' might be the better
word for it ;)

Anyway, I have a few patches on top of the latest ulockmgr code (based
on the code before it was removed) and I already thought to create my
own repo for it. I just need to fix the whitespace of these patches as I
had accidentally changed the indentation style when I imported the
ulockmgr code. Will try to find some time in the next days for that...

Bernd

Re: What's the ulockmgr_server alternative

yin zhuhua
Bernd,

Could you please send the ulockmgr code to me? Thank you.

Best regards,
Zhuhua

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 7:08 PM, Bernd Schubert <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 18.12.2016 23:13, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> On Dec 18 2016, yin zhuhua <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Nikolaus,
>>
>> The latest libfuse 3 change log shows that ulockmgr_server will not
>> supported. What would you suggest to use for file locking?
>
> Sorry, no idea. This happened before my time. Wasn't ulockmgr_server
> just factored out into a separate package? It seems libfuse still
> supports it (at least the configure script is looking for it).

I couldn't find a repo for it either, so 'removed' might be the better
word for it ;)

Anyway, I have a few patches on top of the latest ulockmgr code (based
on the code before it was removed) and I already thought to create my
own repo for it. I just need to fix the whitespace of these patches as I
had accidentally changed the indentation style when I imported the
ulockmgr code. Will try to find some time in the next days for that...

Bernd

Re: What's the ulockmgr_server alternative

Stef Bon-2

> It also might be useful when the fuse file system is on top of a network
> file system and there might be different users of this network file system.
> Even locally, as the vfs won't pass through the lock request from the
> overlay to the underlying fs.

Of course the vfs won't pass the lock request to the underlying fs.
The vfs does a lot of things, but cannot do this.
(it does not "know" the overlays and the underlying fs are related).

You do not have to use ulockmgr, just program your lock calls. (posix
byte range locking and/or flock).
When underlying network fs reports a file is locked, this will get
through to your overlay fs.

Stef