fuse and non-standard prefixes

Csaba Henk
Hi!

* Maybe it's just my ignorance, but I couldn't get fuse.ko installed to
  a non-standard place (upon trying to get it behave friendly with my
  symlinky package manager)

* What I think is not my ignorance but a flaw: mount.fuse doesn't
  respect the --prefix (or --sbindir) option of configure, the
  installation procedure puts it into /sbin anyway.

Csaba

Re: fuse and non-standard prefixes

Miklos Szeredi
> * Maybe it's just my ignorance, but I couldn't get fuse.ko installed to
>   a non-standard place (upon trying to get it behave friendly with my
>   symlinky package manager)

What's the "standard" way of specifying where to install the kernel
modules?

> * What I think is not my ignorance but a flaw: mount.fuse doesn't
>   respect the --prefix (or --sbindir) option of configure, the
>   installation procedure puts it into /sbin anyway.

It deliberately ignores --prefix, because mount doesn't search in
/usr/local/sbin.  And I havent yet found a way of setting a default
for sbindir other than ${prefix}/sbin.

On 2005-07-25, Miklos Szeredi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> * Maybe it's just my ignorance, but I couldn't get fuse.ko installed to
>>   a non-standard place (upon trying to get it behave friendly with my
>>   symlinky package manager)
>
> What's the "standard" way of specifying where to install the kernel
> modules?

In the kernel source tree,

make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/foo/bar modules_install

works. I don't know though in what level you rely on kernel Makefiles...
Using such a setting doesn't change the behaviour of Fuse, anyway.

As an example of a Makefile for a third-party kernel module, see that of shfs:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/shfs/shfs/shfs/Linux-2.6/Makefile?rev=1.4&view=auto

>> * What I think is not my ignorance but a flaw: mount.fuse doesn't
>>   respect the --prefix (or --sbindir) option of configure, the
>>   installation procedure puts it into /sbin anyway.
>
> It deliberately ignores --prefix, because mount doesn't search in
> /usr/local/sbin.  And I havent yet found a way of setting a default
> for sbindir other than ${prefix}/sbin.

Well, maybe someone just wants to use that as a symlink... eg. me with the symlink based package manager.

There is DESTDIR though that has a little bit different effect than --prefix ...

Csaba

Re: Re: fuse and non-standard prefixes

Miklos Szeredi
> >> * Maybe it's just my ignorance, but I couldn't get fuse.ko installed to
> >>   a non-standard place (upon trying to get it behave friendly with my
> >>   symlinky package manager)
> >
> > What's the "standard" way of specifying where to install the kernel
> > modules?
>
> In the kernel source tree,
>
> make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/foo/bar modules_install
>
> works. I don't know though in what level you rely on kernel Makefiles...
> Using such a setting doesn't change the behaviour of Fuse, anyway.

Yes, the kernel makefiles are used for building only, not for install.

> As an example of a Makefile for a third-party kernel module, see
> that of shfs:
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/shfs/shfs/shfs/Linux-2.6/Makefile?rev=1.4&view=auto

OK, this uses MODULESDIR.  But I'd rather use INSTALL_MOD_PATH, since
the kernel uses that.  Is that OK with you?

> >> * What I think is not my ignorance but a flaw: mount.fuse doesn't
> >>   respect the --prefix (or --sbindir) option of configure, the
> >>   installation procedure puts it into /sbin anyway.
> >
> > It deliberately ignores --prefix, because mount doesn't search in
> > /usr/local/sbin.  And I havent yet found a way of setting a default
> > for sbindir other than ${prefix}/sbin.
>
> Well, maybe someone just wants to use that as a symlink... eg. me
> with the symlink based package manager.

Yes, but by default prefix is /usr/local, or sometimes people set it
to /usr, but it's never /.  But mount.fuse needs to be installed to
/sbin regardless of --prefix, because any other place is not useful
(except in your case).

The problem is that autconf doesn't allow me to provide a default for
sbindir (/sbin) if none is specified with --sbindir.

How about solving this with a make variable too?   E.g. MOUNT_FUSE_PATH.

On 2005-07-25, Miklos Szeredi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK, this uses MODULESDIR.  But I'd rather use INSTALL_MOD_PATH, since
> the kernel uses that.  Is that OK with you?

[snip]

> How about solving this with a make variable too?   E.g. MOUNT_FUSE_PATH.

This approach superbly fits my needs. Thanks.

Csaba

Re: Re: fuse and non-standard prefixes

Miklos Szeredi
> > OK, this uses MODULESDIR.  But I'd rather use INSTALL_MOD_PATH, since
> > the kernel uses that.  Is that OK with you?
>
> [snip]
>
> > How about solving this with a make variable too?   E.g. MOUNT_FUSE_PATH.
>
> This approach superbly fits my needs. Thanks.

Committed to CVS.

Variables need to be set at ./configure time:

  ./configure MOUNT_FUSE_PATH=/xyz/sbin INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/abc