fuse mount options

Ashish Samant
Hi,

I had a question regarding FUSE mount options. In the kernel module, why
does the fuse_show_options function list only a few options?

It does not list any fuse_ll_opts[] options from libfuse  such as
async_dio, writeback_cache, big_writes, readdirplus, async_read etc.
They are just stored as flags in fuse_conn structure in the kernel. It
would be good if mount lists these options.

I was about to make a patch for one of these, but thought its better to
ask since it applies to all.

Thanks,
Ashish

Re: fuse mount options

Nikolaus Rath
On Feb 17 2016, Ashish Samant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a question regarding FUSE mount options. In the kernel module, why
> does the fuse_show_options function list only a few options?

What function?

$ git grep fuse_show_options
(nothing)

> It does not list any fuse_ll_opts[] options from libfuse  such as
> async_dio, writeback_cache, big_writes, readdirplus, async_read etc.
> They are just stored as flags in fuse_conn structure in the kernel. It
> would be good if mount lists these options.

Random guess (not having seen the function): because the function you
looked at is part of the high-level interface, and there's no way to
pass them to the kernel.

(No Cc on replies please, I'm reading the list)

Re: fuse mount options

Ashish Samant

On 02/18/2016 09:16 AM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> On Feb 17 2016, Ashish Samant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had a question regarding FUSE mount options. In the kernel module, why
>> does the fuse_show_options function list only a few options?
> What function?
This function is in the fuse kernel module, not libfuse.

> $ git grep fuse_show_options
> (nothing)
>
>> It does not list any fuse_ll_opts[] options from libfuse  such as
>> async_dio, writeback_cache, big_writes, readdirplus, async_read etc.
>> They are just stored as flags in fuse_conn structure in the kernel. It
>> would be good if mount lists these options.
> Random guess (not having seen the function): because the function you
> looked at is part of the high-level interface, and there's no way to
> pass them to the kernel.
The kernel module has access to them as they are stored in fuse_conn
(fc) structure as bitfield flags ,set during INIT in process_init_reply
() in the kernel.

On Feb 18 2016, Ashish Samant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 02/18/2016 09:16 AM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>> On Feb 17 2016, Ashish Samant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I had a question regarding FUSE mount options. In the kernel module, why
>>> does the fuse_show_options function list only a few options?
>> What function?
>
> This function is in the fuse kernel module, not libfuse.

Oh, I see. No idea then.

>> (No Cc on replies please, I'm reading the list)
>
> Thanks,
> Ashish

Quoted and ignored like a master.

(No Cc on replies please, I'm reading the list)