Quantcast

fuse: writing device: Invalid argument on old kernel (3.10)

fuse: writing device: Invalid argument on old kernel (3.10)

Michael Zimmermann
if the following patch has not been applied to the kernel, then fuse shows 'fuse: writing device: Invalid argument' which results ind a non-working mount.
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/e27c9d3877a0d0479711a55f5cdd7ee91442da53

this is only a problem with fuse3, and the patch increases the size of fuse_init_out so I guess there's some header/datasize incompatibility.

the commit first appeared in v3.15-rc5 so many systems should be incompatible with fuse3 right now.

Thanks
Michael

Re: fuse: writing device: Invalid argument on old kernel (3.10)

Michael Zimmermann
ok apparently the problem is that some kernels(Android) where cherry-picking is more common than merging have the version number 23 but don't have the patch included yet.

I guess that means that we have to do some brute forcing forĀ outargsize in fuse_lowlevel.c

Thanks
Michael

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Michael Zimmermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
if the following patch has not been applied to the kernel, then fuse shows 'fuse: writing device: Invalid argument' which results ind a non-working mount.
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/e27c9d3877a0d0479711a55f5cdd7ee91442da53

this is only a problem with fuse3, and the patch increases the size of fuse_init_out so I guess there's some header/datasize incompatibility.

the commit first appeared in v3.15-rc5 so many systems should be incompatible with fuse3 right now.

Thanks
Michael

Re: fuse: writing device: Invalid argument on old kernel (3.10)

Miklos Szeredi
On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Michael Zimmermann
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> ok apparently the problem is that some kernels(Android) where cherry-picking
> is more common than merging have the version number 23 but don't have the
> patch included yet.
>
> I guess that means that we have to do some brute forcing for outargsize in
> fuse_lowlevel.c

Without more info, it rather looks like those kernels that did the
cherry picking are broken and need to be fixed.

Yeah, in hindsight the version numbering in the fuse protocol was a
bad idea.  All features should have used a separate bit so that
features could be cherry picked at random.

But we have what we have now, and the kernel is clearly responsible
for not breaking userland (see Linus' rants on the topic).