gnome nautilus && fuse

jens m. noedler

Re: gnome nautilus && fuse

Miklos Szeredi
> i'm currently working on a fuse filesystem and the most function are
> implemented and work fine. yesterday i discovered that the gnome file
> manager 'nautilus' crashes, whenever i browse into a mounted fuse
> filesystem. this is trou for my own fs, sshfs and others i tested.

Does it crash with example/fusexmp too?

> bash, kde konqueror an mc work fine on all tested fuse filesystems!
> stracing nautilus wasn't very informative to me.
>
> i'm running debian sarge/stable with gnome nautilus 2.8.2.
> can somebody reproduce this behaviour?

I haven't got gnome installed, but after installing nautilus (2.8.2-2)
and trying it on an sshfs mount it seems to work fine.

Re: gnome nautilus && fuse

Franco Broi
On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 11:49 +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:

> > i'm currently working on a fuse filesystem and the most function are
> > implemented and work fine. yesterday i discovered that the gnome file
> > manager 'nautilus' crashes, whenever i browse into a mounted fuse
> > filesystem. this is trou for my own fs, sshfs and others i tested.
>
> Does it crash with example/fusexmp too?
>
> > bash, kde konqueror an mc work fine on all tested fuse filesystems!
> > stracing nautilus wasn't very informative to me.
> >
> > i'm running debian sarge/stable with gnome nautilus 2.8.2.
> > can somebody reproduce this behaviour?
>
> I haven't got gnome installed, but after installing nautilus (2.8.2-2)
> and trying it on an sshfs mount it seems to work fine.

Works fine on my FUSE filesystems on Fedora Core 3.

Re: gnome nautilus && fuse

jens m. noedler

Re: gnome nautilus && fuse

Miklos Szeredi
> >> i'm currently working on a fuse filesystem and the most function
> >> are implemented and work fine. yesterday i discovered that the
> >> gnome file manager 'nautilus' crashes, whenever i browse into a
> >> mounted fuse filesystem. this is trou for my own fs, sshfs and
> >> others i tested.
> >
> > Does it crash with example/fusexmp too?
>
> Yes.

That's interesting, because fusexmp mirrors the original filesystem
very closely.  So any difference between the "real" and the FUSE
filesystem is very subtle.

It sounds like a nautilus bug, but it would still be interesting to
know what FUSE does differently, that triggers this...

Re: gnome nautilus && fuse

Rémi-2

From: Miklos Szeredi <[hidden email]>

> That's interesting, because fusexmp mirrors the original filesystem
> very closely.  So any difference between the "real" and the FUSE
> filesystem is very subtle.
>
> It sounds like a nautilus bug, but it would still be interesting to
> know what FUSE does differently, that triggers this...

I have problems with Nautilus also. In fact, on my system (Mandrake 10.1,
Kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk, gcc 3.4.1) neither of the main file manager work
correctly with FUSE filesystems. I tried Konqueror 3.2.3 and Nautilus 2.6.3
with fusexmp 2.3.0 and they both have the same problem : they can display the
root of the filesystem, but when I try to navigate, the folders are shown
empty and then they disappear from the display when I go back.
I tried "use_ino", "direct_io" : same problem.

Re: gnome nautilus && fuse

Miklos Szeredi
> I have problems with Nautilus also. In fact, on my system (Mandrake
> 10.1, Kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk, gcc 3.4.1) neither of the main file
> manager work correctly with FUSE filesystems. I tried Konqueror
> 3.2.3 and Nautilus 2.6.3 with fusexmp 2.3.0 and they both have the
> same problem : they can display the root of the filesystem, but when
> I try to navigate, the folders are shown empty and then they
> disappear from the display when I go back.  I tried "use_ino",
> "direct_io" : same problem.

There's something strange going on.  I cannot reproduce this with
either Nautilus or Konqueror.

Can you please save a trace of 'fusexmp -d' and simultaneous 'strace
konqueror'.  Try to make the session as short as possible, which just
shows the bug, and with no other activity.

If you could make the traces available (private mail, or web server),
I would try to investigate what's happening.