kernel_cache option

Yura Pakhuchiy-3
Hi Miklos,

Between 2.3.0 and 2.4.0-pre1 you moved check of 'kernel_cache' option
from kernel to userspace. Why? Is there exist strong reasons to break
interface?

All released versions of ntfsmount (mount NTFS volumes using FUSE and
libntfs) give 'kernel_cache' option to fuse_mount by default, thus they
all become broken with fuse-2.4.0. Is possible to accept 'kernel_cache'
to fuse_mount for compatibility too?

If above is not possible, how can I better fix never versions of
ntfsmount with out switching to fuse_main to support both <=2.3.0 and

--
Best regards,
        Yura

Re: kernel_cache option

Miklos Szeredi
> Between 2.3.0 and 2.4.0-pre1 you moved check of 'kernel_cache' option
> from kernel to userspace. Why?

The communication interface was extended, so that these options can be
specified on a per-open basis (see 'direct_io' and 'keep_cache' fields
of 'struct fuse_file_info' in <fuse_common.h>)

> Is there exist strong reasons to break interface?

I hope the breakage is minimal.

> All released versions of ntfsmount (mount NTFS volumes using FUSE and
> libntfs) give 'kernel_cache' option to fuse_mount by default,

The fuse_is_lib_option() can be used to determine which options to
pass to fuse_mount() and which to fuse_new().

It's not a nice interface and there's a pending patch by Patrick
Guimond that would clean up the option parsing interfaces.  I hope to
integrate that for 2.5, but that would be a bigger change.

> thus they all become broken with fuse-2.4.0. Is possible to accept
> 'kernel_cache' to fuse_mount for compatibility too?

With horrible hacks yes.  I'm sorry that it breaks current version of
ntfsmount, but I'd prefer if if you could fix it, rather than working
around it in the library.

> If above is not possible, how can I better fix never versions of
> ntfsmount with out switching to fuse_main to support both <=2.3.0 and
> >=2.4.0 versions?

Using fuse_is_lib_option() should be a safe bet.  There are still
inconsitencies in the option parsing interface, but I'll try to get
rid of those for 2.5.