non-root problems

Alfille, Paul H.,M.D.
I'm trying to get fuse to work on a CD-based distribution, and have been
struggling.

The distribution is "Damn Small Linux", which runs in RAM, and read-only from
the CDrom. All work is done as non-root (user dsl).

I've compiled fusermount with USE_UCLIBC defined to prevent attempts to write to
mtab.

My problem is currently
fusermount: failed to create device node: Operation not permitted
fusermount: fuse device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first

No problems if I run as root. Also no problems if I install the the hard disk,
though that may not be as pure since the hard disk contents tends to drift over
time.

This must be a solved problem. Any suggestions?

Paul Alfille

Re: non-root problems

Leandro Franco
Hi,

I had a similar problem when i tried to install fuse on a drive
mounted with nosuid.

can fusermount run as root?

Leandro

On 8/19/05, Alfille, Paul H.,M.D. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to get fuse to work on a CD-based distribution, and have been
> struggling.
>
> The distribution is "Damn Small Linux", which runs in RAM, and read-only from
> the CDrom. All work is done as non-root (user dsl).
>
> I've compiled fusermount with USE_UCLIBC defined to prevent attempts to write to
> mtab.
>
> My problem is currently
> fusermount: failed to create device node: Operation not permitted
> fusermount: fuse device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first
>
> No problems if I run as root. Also no problems if I install the the hard disk,
> though that may not be as pure since the hard disk contents tends to drift over
> time.
>
> This must be a solved problem. Any suggestions?
>
> Paul Alfille

Re: non-root problems

> I'm trying to get fuse to work on a CD-based distribution, and have been
> struggling.
>
> The distribution is "Damn Small Linux", which runs in RAM, and
> read-only from the CDrom. All work is done as non-root (user dsl).
>
> I've compiled fusermount with USE_UCLIBC defined to prevent attempts
> to write to mtab.

Hmm, this should probably be a config option in /etc/fuse.conf and
possibly a root-only command line switch as well.  Will fix.

> My problem is currently
> fusermount: failed to create device node: Operation not permitted
> fusermount: fuse device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first

Is fusermount installed suid?

Re: non-root problems

Paul Alfille
Solved by putting temp directory in /home/dsl (for the Damn Small Linux
CD-based system) instead of /tmp. Required modifying the #define in
fusermount.c

As long as you are adding configuration options...

Paul

On Friday 19 August 2005 05:51 am, Miklos Szeredi wrote:

> > I'm trying to get fuse to work on a CD-based distribution, and have been
> > struggling.
> >
> > The distribution is "Damn Small Linux", which runs in RAM, and
> > read-only from the CDrom. All work is done as non-root (user dsl).
> >
> > I've compiled fusermount with USE_UCLIBC defined to prevent attempts
> > to write to mtab.
>
> Hmm, this should probably be a config option in /etc/fuse.conf and
> possibly a root-only command line switch as well.  Will fix.
>
> > My problem is currently
> > fusermount: failed to create device node: Operation not permitted
> > fusermount: fuse device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first
>
> Is fusermount installed suid?
>
> Miklos

Re: non-root problems

Christian Magnusson

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 21:17 -0400, Paul Alfille wrote:
> Solved by putting temp directory in /home/dsl (for the Damn Small Linux
> CD-based system) instead of /tmp. Required modifying the #define in
> fusermount.c
>
> As long as you are adding configuration options...
>
> Paul

Thanks... I should have noticed the mount option "nodev" on /tmp that
makes it fail...

root@OpenWrt:/# cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / jffs2 rw 0 0