passthrough_ll example

Yue Li
hi guys,

I'm still trying to learn FUSE, and from the comments of passthrough*.c,
it indicated that using lower level API would give the best performance.
So I was trying to test using dd. However, the example passthrough_ll
seems misses implementation of write function... is there any chance
that an example of write function will be provided for this?

Best,

Yue

Re: passthrough_ll example

Nikolaus Rath
On Feb 02 2017, Yue Li <yli-wUU9E3n5/[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> I'm still trying to learn FUSE, and from the comments of passthrough*.c,
> it indicated that using lower level API would give the best performance.
> So I was trying to test using dd. However, the example passthrough_ll
> seems misses implementation of write function... is there any chance
> that an example of write function will be provided for this?

Interesting. This should work, and I'm pretty sure this is even covered
by the test cases. However, I am seeing the same failure even with a
simple "cp". Could you file a bug at
https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse/issues?

Re: passthrough_ll example

Michael Theall-2

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 5:33 PM Nikolaus Rath <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Feb 02 2017, Yue Li <yli-wUU9E3n5/[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> I'm still trying to learn FUSE, and from the comments of passthrough*.c,
> it indicated that using lower level API would give the best performance.
> So I was trying to test using dd. However, the example passthrough_ll
> seems misses implementation of write function... is there any chance
> that an example of write function will be provided for this?

Interesting. This should work, and I'm pretty sure this is even covered
by the test cases. However, I am seeing the same failure even with a
simple "cp". Could you file a bug at
https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse/issues?

Re: passthrough_ll example

Michael Theall-2
Also, the entire history of that file (and the file it was renamed from) has never had a write method.

On Feb 04 2017, Nikolaus Rath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 02 2017, Yue Li <yli-wUU9E3n5/[hidden email]> wrote:
>> hi guys,
>>
>> I'm still trying to learn FUSE, and from the comments of passthrough*.c,
>> it indicated that using lower level API would give the best performance.
>> So I was trying to test using dd. However, the example passthrough_ll
>> seems misses implementation of write function... is there any chance
>> that an example of write function will be provided for this?
>
> Interesting. This should work, and I'm pretty sure this is even covered
> by the test cases. However, I am seeing the same failure even with a
> simple "cp". Could you file a bug at
> https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse/issues?

Nevermind, I found the problem. It seems the testcase are broken, and so
are the examples.

https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse/issues/139

To answer your question: yes, I will hopefully fix this within a week or
so. I have a good idea of what the problem is.

Re: passthrough_ll example

On Feb 04 2017, Michael Theall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Nikolaus,
>
> Are you talking about these tests?
> https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse/commit/463189cd121ce9a9f79d24c207e7c6c31898ea06#diff-82997f8fcdaa607edd8f5e86a8619071L75

Sort of - not sure why you're linking to some commit rather than the
most recent version:

https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse/blob/master/test/test_examples.py#L66

Re: passthrough_ll example

Michael Theall-2

I linked the commit because you can see "tst_write()" was removed as well many other tests.

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017, 18:24 Nikolaus Rath <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Feb 04 2017, Michael Theall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Nikolaus,
>
> Are you talking about these tests?
> https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse/commit/463189cd121ce9a9f79d24c207e7c6c31898ea06#diff-82997f8fcdaa607edd8f5e86a8619071L75

Sort of - not sure why you're linking to some commit rather than the
most recent version:

https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse/blob/master/test/test_examples.py#L66

Re: passthrough_ll example

Michael Theall-2

Well, I see further down there is still a use of tst_write. My mistake.

On 2/4/17 4:08 PM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> On Feb 04 2017, Nikolaus Rath <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Feb 02 2017, Yue Li <yli-wUU9E3n5/[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> hi guys,
>>>
>>> I'm still trying to learn FUSE, and from the comments of passthrough*.c,
>>> it indicated that using lower level API would give the best performance.
>>> So I was trying to test using dd. However, the example passthrough_ll
>>> seems misses implementation of write function... is there any chance
>>> that an example of write function will be provided for this?
>> Interesting. This should work, and I'm pretty sure this is even covered
>> by the test cases. However, I am seeing the same failure even with a
>> simple "cp". Could you file a bug at
>> https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse/issues?
> Nevermind, I found the problem. It seems the testcase are broken, and so
> are the examples.
>
> https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse/issues/139
>
> To answer your question: yes, I will hopefully fix this within a week or
> so. I have a good idea of what the problem is.
Sounds good, thanks!

Best,

Yue