unionfs

nicolas collignon
Hi,
i'm trying to implement a unionfs based on FUSE to merge several mount points
into a single one.

I need to create a usermode controlling tool to add/remove/list merged mount
point so it need to communicate with my FS.

So basicly i had choices:
 - create a fifo from my unionfs process
   I don't really like this idea since i'd need to create an inode in my VFS so
user can open it

 - create a local socket
   This will lead to complicate code in my controlling tool to locate the good
socket name.

 - use add/remove/list inodes attributes
   Same as fifo, since it's useless to implement my controlling functions for
each inode, i would create a *special* inode in my VFS.

 - ioctl on special inode
   same as fifo & attributes

So ... i came to the idea of implementing a new message in FUSE protocol to
allow runtime fuse VFS control.

Can anyone tell me what's the best way to do what i want ? (hopping i'm clear
enough) :)

BTW, i got another question for FUSE kernel developpers.
I understand the attributes vs. ioctl choice but I got some cases where IOCTLs
fit better to the need. Anyway i can implement my methods another w/o ioctl.
But i quickly checked IOCTL syscall and my question is:

"Do you consider not bringing ioctl interface to FUSE module because it's too
hard to (since you don't know IOCTL data buffer length at runtime) or because
you DO really think IOCTL way is *ugly* ?"
Bye

Re: unionfs

Martin C. Atkins
On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:55:15 +0000 (UTC) nicolas collignon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>..
> I need to create a usermode controlling tool to add/remove/list merged mount
> point so it need to communicate with my FS.
>
> So basicly i had choices:
>... <several options>...

How about implementing a control file inside the fuse filesystem that a client
program just opens and writes the mount command into?

Martin

--
Martin C. Atkins [hidden email]
Parvat Infotech Private Limited http://www.parvat.com{/,/martin}

Re: unionfs

nicolas collignon
Martin C. Atkins <martin@...> writes:

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:55:15 +0000 (UTC) nicolas collignon
> <tsointsoin@...> wrote:
> >..
> > I need to create a usermode controlling tool to add/remove/list merged mount
> > point so it need to communicate with my FS.
> >
> > So basicly i had choices:
> >... <several options>...
>
> How about implementing a control file inside the fuse filesystem that a client
> program just opens and writes the mount command into?
>
> Martin

That was what i was trying to say with:
"I don't really like this idea since i'd need to create an inode in my VFS so
user can open it" :)

I think it's the cleanest way but i don't see any reason the show all processes
this *useless* (until controlling needed) file.

Nicolas

bye

Re: Re: unionfs

Miklos Szeredi
> That was what i was trying to say with: "I don't really like this
> idea since i'd need to create an inode in my VFS so user can open
> it" :)

So why not create it outside the filesystem?  That's what every other
program would do: create a named fifo, unix domain socket or listen to
a tcp socket.  Either of those are valid communication models, and
none of them require you to create a dummy node within the filesystem.